The US Math Recovery Council® Exploratory Tuition Award winners will receive Complimentary admittance into a scheduled Add+VantageMR® Course 1 (AVMR C1). The entire tuition fee is included in this award. Please Note: airfare, hotel stay, and meals are not covered in this award.
Add+VantageMR® (AVMR) Course 1 is a four-day course that includes dynamic, diagnostic, individual assessments in number words and numerals, structuring numbers, and addition and subtraction strategies. The assessment, data collecting, and teaching tools accelerate the educator's ability to recognize the students' current levels of numeracy understanding to make data-driven instructional decisions. AVMR is beneficial for anyone working or supervising others in the area of mathematics. It is most appropriate for pre-kindergarten through elementary, as well as for middle school educators who work with students that have fallen at least two years behind standards.
Application submission due date: April 22, 2019
Recipient notification date: May 3, 2019
Total awards given: 3
Who Should Apply?
- This tuition assistance award is meant to benefit a school who has yet to send any staff to a Math Recovery course.
- The purpose of this award is to allow an individual to explore Math Recovery Professional Development. It is a learning experience for teachers that provides diagnostic assessment and teaching procedures in early numeracy.
- The ideal candidate would have a leadership role within the school. The award provides the participant with the opportunity to attend a scheduled Add +Vantage MR Course 1.
District considerations: The award provides the participant with the opportunity to attend a scheduled course. Outside costs, such as substitutes, transportation, lodging and food are the participants or districts’ responsibility.
Individuals must meet the following criteria, or their awards will not be considered:
- Applicant must be from a school that has not experienced Math Recovery professional development.
- Narrative element-applications can be no more than 1 page in length.
- Include an administrator letter, no more than 1 page in length.
To Apply: Provide a narrative that includes the following:
- School and/ or District academic need (current state of mathematics)
- What does the attendee hope to gain from the course?
- Acknowledgement of support in allowing staff member to attend course
- Acknowledgement of District Considerations
- Agreement to be debriefed by participant on their experience in this professional development course
Questions about the application? Contact Kim Roehl email@example.com.
|Area of Measure||0 Points||1 Points||2 Points||3 Points|
|Current state of mathematics described for school or district||Not addressed||Description includes current mathematics program/curriculum||Description includes current mathematics program along with common pedagogical beliefs and/or pedagogical practices||Description includes current mathematics program/ curriculum, common pedagogical beliefs and/or pedagogical practices, along with reference to AVMR1 course description|
|Does the attendee address what they hope to gain from the course?||No - 0 points||Yes - 2 points|
|Acknowledgement of district considerations||Not addressed||Mentions some of the requirements of tuition assistance award||Addresses all requirements of tuition assistance award||Addresses all requirements of tuition assistance award with an endorsement of potential candidate to attend|
|Acknowledgement of support in allowing staff member to attend a course||No - 0 points||Yes - 2 points|
|Administrator agrees to be debriefed by participant on their experience.||No - 0 points||Yes - 2 points|