In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic,
all US Math Recovery® Sponsored courses will be delivered virtually
until further notice.
About Math Recovery® Virtual Workshops
These professional development virtual workshops focus on early numeracy development. They support elementary educators, special education instructors, math interventionists, and math coaches in diagnosing and advancing student understanding and numeracy development. These support workshops will be interactive with a USMRC instructional coach and include content review, videos, and group discussion. Depending on the workshop, the length will be 60 or 90 minutes long.
- General Workshops (60 - 90 minutes): Intended audience: teachers, coaches, interventionists and administrators. No previous Math Recovery experience necessary
- Prerequisite Workshops (60 - 90 minutes): Intended audience: teachers, coaches, interventionists and administrators who have previously taken Add+VantageMR® courses
Interested in scheduling any of these workshops for your educators?
Reach out to Mike Busch, Outreach Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Discounted group pricing is available.
General Workshop Topics
Workshops listed below require no previous Math Recovery experience
- No More Fingers! Promoting Fact Fluency in Addition and Subtraction (90 minutes): You’ll have the chance to play around with research-based strategies that develop students’ fluency with facts. Come prepared to challenge yourself with new ways of thinking about how to help students of any age move beyond counting by ones to solve basic addition and subtraction tasks. This interactive session is designed for those new to the Math Recovery world and does not require prior experience with any of our courses.
- Mental Math (90 minutes): Participants will explore simple counting and structuring strategies to improve mental math and deepen place value understanding. This knowledge will support your ability to increase students’ mental computation skills and to prevent common errors with regrouping. This interactive session is designed for those new to the Math Recovery world and does not require prior experience with any of our courses.
- Virtual Instruction Support Workshop (90 minutes): This session is an opportunity to explore virtual instruction with other trained teachers. We will highlight methods for engaging students in an online setting. Participants will view and discuss video of different approaches that teachers have taken for one-on-one instruction in a virtual environment.
Workshops for those who have taken Add+VantageMR® Course 1 (AVMR1)
All workshops listed below require certification in AVMR1
- Structuring Assessment (90 minutes): This interactive session supports teachers' understanding of the Add+VantageMR Structuring Numbers assessment. The session will review the Structuring Model and Assessment. We will watch, code and analyze an assessment. We will discuss decision making points within the assessment in order to get more efficient in delivering the assessment.
- Early Structuring Instruction (90 minutes): This interactive session supports teachers’ understanding of the research-based teaching progression for Early Structuring Number. You will explore instructional settings for early structuring and develop a deeper understanding of how these settings and tasks support the development within the Addition and Subtraction constructs.
- Structuring Numbers to 10 (90 minutes): This interactive session supports teachers' understanding of the research-based teaching progression for Structuring Numbers to 10 to support all students, regardless of the grade level, to develop strong fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 10. The session explores the instructional settings of ten-frames, unifix cubes and the bead rack. Two instructional videos will be watched and analyzed. Grade level standard: Grade 1.
- Structuring Numbers 11 to 20 (90 minutes): This session is an extension of Structuring Numbers to 10 and will continue an exploration of a research-based instructional progression for building fact fluency for all students, regardless of the grade level, to develop strong fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 20. We will discuss the benefits to students who apply structuring knowledge with facility and work to refine instruction using the bead rack. We will focus heavily on questioning and prompts that actively engage students in inquiry mode.
- Number Words and Numerals Models and Assessment (60 minutes): This interactive session will guide you through the presentation, coding and analyzing the Number Words and Numerals assessment. We will discuss how the data provided by this assessment relates to the Number Words and Numerals models. This session will deepen your understanding of the decisions needed when presenting the assessment tasks, so you are able to become more efficient in administration.
- Addition and Subtraction Assessment and Model Support (90 minutes): This session is an opportunity to unpack the model for Addition and Subtraction and explore how to gather information to better get know students as unitary and composite thinkers. We will discuss purposeful navigation of the Addition and Subtraction assessment and points that require thoughtful decision-making. We will practice coding and analyzing an assessment.
- Subtraction Instruction, Part 1 (90 minutes): This session provides an opportunity to examine the instructional trajectory for Subtraction. We will discuss instruction that supports a student progressing from the beginning Constructs to Construct 3. Instructional videos will be used to analyze student thinking and teacher moves. We will also evaluate how our questioning may impact interval and discrete counters.
- Subtraction Instruction, Part 2 (90 minutes): This session provides an opportunity to examine the instructional trajectory for Subtraction. We will discuss instruction that supports a student progressing from Construct 3 to Construct 5. Instructional settings - including 10 frames and the bead rack – will be aligned with the learning trajectory. We will consider Structuring instruction through a subtraction lens.
Workshops for those who have taken Add+VantageMR® Course 2 (AVMR2)
All workshops listed below require certification in AVMR2
- Multiplication & Division Assessment and Model Support (90 minutes): This session is an opportunity to unpack the model for Multiplication and Division. We will discuss purposeful navigation of the Multiplication and Division assessment and points that require thoughtful decision-making. We will watch, code and analyze a video recorded assessment to calibrate scoring.
- Place Value: Base-10 Assessment and Model Support (90 minutes): This session is an opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the Place Value: Base-10 model which allows for purposeful assessment navigation. The session highlights the connection between the following topics within Place Value:
- Structuring Numbers
- Conceptual Place Value
- Higher Decade Addition and Subtraction