The US Math Recovery Council® held its regular Board meeting on Sunday, August 3, 2014 8:00 a.m. in Apple Valley, MN.
Attendance: Lynn Haden, Chair; Fred Reynolds, Chair-Elect; Yvette Panasowich, Past-Chair; Kory Obenshain, Secretary; Eric Walker, Treasurer; Cathy Briand, Anne Catena, Tricia Gessele, Lauren Simpson, Deb Farley, and David Webb.
Regrets: Sharon Ficarra
Staff: Carolyn Olijnek, CEO; Lisa Jobin, Production Manager.
- Membership: New on-line registration for courses shared.
- Community: Shared updates on CEO outreach; vendor fair at the Texas Regional Collaborative; CAMT in Fort Worth, TX, Summer Institute in Apple Valley; 3 Champion sites this summer; Update on CEO networking with universities; presented at Ablenet (Special Needs) collaborative.
- Program: Successful new course during Summer Institute called “Deepening the Conversation” with Kurt Kinsey. 2014 Conference surveys were overwhelming positive. Contract signed for the 2015 conference to be held in Raleigh, NC on October 27-29, with pre-conference on October 26, 2015.
- Research: Christina Miller shared her research piece regarding Green Bay project.
- Strategic Plan was approved in February 2014. Update: 8/2014.
- Training Report: CEO shared information: metrics sheet with discussion on back order items from our vendors.
- Board reviewed Statement of Financial Activity and Statement of Financial Position. Discussion was held around the appropriate target for cash on hand. Finances are in good order.
- Budget process to begin now. Move budget approval meeting to November so that new budget will start at the first of the year.
FINANCE COMMITTEE: Lynn Haden, on behalf of Eric Walker, Treasurer
- Discussion: compensation for staff, hiring of an auditor or maintaining current firm, hiring of additional staff to support growth and handle current workload.
BOARD DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE: Fred Reynolds, Chair
- Discussion around what impact changing the conference date has on voting timeline for new board members, the process if a slate is voted down, the removal of the language regarding the specifics of the election process from the bylaws, and modifying language related to timelines for voting to reflect new conference dates.
POLICY COMMITTEE: Kory Obenshain, Chair
- Discussion around how the CEO is evaluated and determination that sufficient information is already in policy. USMRC is incorporated in North Carolina and should follow Best Practice Employment compliances within Minnesota. USMRC is considered a “Foreign Corporation” meaning we work outside the state in which incorporated. Consideration was given to future review of the policy manual and bylaws/constitution.
PIONEER COMMITTEE: Cathy Briand, Chair
- Needs new members. Discussion around nominations timeline should not change, need to be kept on website permanently, committee would like to propose an increase in budget to include travel, award purchase, shipping, and conference.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE REPORT: Lynn Haden, Chair
- Board moving into role of Governance Board. Discussion was held around the function and purpose of the Executive Committee. The EC is represented on all committees and will make minutes digitally available to entire board.
Chair moves to announcement of Board Officers:
- Lynn, Chair, August 2014
- Fred Reynolds, voted by board for Chair Elect, August 2014
- Yvette Panasowich moved to Past-Chair, August 2014
- Kory Obenshain appointed Secretary, August 2014
- Eric Walker appointed Treasurer, August 2014
Discussion around moving to more virtual meetings, keeping August and the conference face-to-face meetings and moving February to virtual. Platforms for this will be explored.
Proposed future dates as follows:
- December 6, 2014, 8:00 am. (CST): Virtual budget meeting
- February 7, 2015: Virtual all day meeting
- July 31 – August 1-2, 2015, Apple Valley, MN. (New board member orientation and Executive Committee arrives on July 31st.)
- October 26, 2015 at the National Conference, Raleigh NC
- February 6-7, 2016: Virtual
- Will also need committee meetings, budget meetings, and auditor meetings in between the above dates.