Beyond Fluency to 20:
The Power of Intentional Sequences
to Build Fluency in Addition and
Subtraction Within 100
We can all agree that basic fact fluency in addition and subtraction is an important goal of the early grades, but addition and subtraction to 100 is an often-forgotten next step in the development of students’ mental computation. In this session, we will explore the research-based learning trajectory, developed by Dr. Robert Wright and colleagues, that will support you in laying a foundation for your students’ future arithmetic learning. This session will:
- Identify essential skills students need to master as they develop a range of efficient and flexible mental computation strategies.
- Analyze videos of teacher moves and student thinking to clarify our understanding of the domain of addition and subtraction within 100 while analyzing task selection and methods to move students forward.
- Explore specific tools that, when used intentionally, have been shown to advance student learning in this domain.
Thank you for your interest in the session! For Build Math Minds members, the session will be available to view until July 2022. A download the handouts for this session are below.
Interested in trying out Math Recovery professional development? Tuition Scholarships applications are open:
- Add+VantageMR Course 1: Assessment Guided Instruction - Applications close August 25 & Sept 27
- Add+VantageMR Fractions: Strategies for the Classroom - Applications Close Sept 10
Marria Carrington currently serves as a Client and Services Specialist at the US Math Recovery Council® (USMRC). For the past 4 years she served as an Instructional Coach at USMRC. Her current role supports teachers as well as the system they teach in to transform numeracy education.
Throughout her 26 years in education, she has assumed a variety of educational positions including 3rd and 4th grade teacher, high school math teacher, K-8 Math Coach, Supervisor of Student Teachers for Smith College, Adjunct Professor for Lesley University and Regional Math Specialist for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in Massachusetts.
Marria is passionate about empowering teachers to understand how children make sense of mathematics and how to move each child forward in their mathematical understanding as well as building a system that supports teachers doing that work. Marria holds a B.A. in Arabic Studies from Mount Holyoke College, a M. Ed in Elementary Education from Smith College and a M. Ed in Mathematics Education from Lesley University, respectively.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
About Math Recovery
What is Math Recovery?
The US Math Recovery Council® is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering educators and advancing students’ mathematical thinking and success. Math Recovery® transforms numeracy education through customized and unique professional learning with meaningful assessment and instruction, while Match Champs® works directly with students in one-on-one and small group settings within schools and districts.
Learn more about services we offer: